Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Learning Languages.


While English has become a global lingua franca over the past several decades, this infact, however does have little effect on my decision to learn a foreign language. The attitude that English alone is enough, infact, creates self-imposed limitations. To remain monolingual is to stunt my educational development, to restrict my communication and thinking abilities, and to deny myself the ability to fully appreciate and understand the world I live in. Learning another language opens up new opportunities and gives me perspective that I might have encountered otherwise. Personal, professional, social and economic considerations all point to the advantages of learning foreign languages.

That is why it's never too late for me to learn languages and I intend to learn Spanish language first and foremost. Learning Spanish language is my first attempt to acquire because some of my native languages have been influenced by Spanish words and it would be a lot easier for me to adopt. In my field of work, I have also been exposed more to a Spanish nationality and I usually find it hard to communicate to those who don't know how to speak English. It's very disheartening when you probably would have a lot to offer the person you want to communicate with. Accessibility nowadays is never too far from my grasp since online courses could also be arranged. And thanks to those I made connections socially who are willing to teach me some of the basic communication skills. It would help me learn the language a lot more fun!

No comments: